Friday, July 17, 2009

Coffee

Paul and I had a little breakfast date today. We went for donuts and coffee. The donuts were good (not Krispy Kreme good, though). I really dislike drinking non-homemade coffee, but I ordered some today anyway. I wanted some! After I doctored it and doctored it, I told Paul that I was a "high maintenance coffee drinker."

When I get coffee somewhere besides my homemade brew, it is too bitter. It takes too much sugar and creamer to get it the way I like it when I order it in a restaurant. I like my coffee with lots of creamer and sugar, but today at the donut shop, I had to use a kajillion sugar packets and half a kajillion creamer tubs. Blegh, it was still bitter, but I managed to drink it anyway.

But this post really isn't about me or my coffee drinking preferences. It's about Paul.

When I told him I was a high maintenance coffee drinker and that my coffee was too bitter, he said, "The bitterness is what makes coffee fun." I thought that was an interested comment.

After our cup of coffee and two donuts (each), we got in the car. He put both hands on the wheel, and in a giddy, bright-eyed-bushy-tailed look, he said, "I've had my caffeine. I've had my sugar. I'm good!"

I had to giggle. He really WAS good to go!

1 comment:

Leslie said...

I always fuss at myself for getting coffee out. I can never get it right either and think it's too strong or bitter. Now I can drink Panera's caramel latte without any doctoring.