Sunday, January 18, 2009

Holy Mole-y

I went to my annual dermatologist appointment the other day. It was at 3:15 so Abbie got out of school 15 minutes early and got to go with me.
I surprised her with some MrD's chicken nuggets so she wouldn't be too hungry before we got home. I didn't know how long the appt would last.
We had to wait an hour before I was called back.
I had to get undressed (except for my under-roos) which I didn't mind too much since I wasn't completely naked. But.....because painters were at the house and because I helped deliver a meal to a sick person and stayed too long chit-chatting, I didn't get a chance to get really spiffy for the doctor's appt. So.....I realized too late that I had on underwear with a little message on the rear! How embarrassing! After I got undressed, I had Abbie read the message to me {sigh of relief} Luckily, it didn't say something like, "kiss this!"
The dermatologist always remarks on how many moles I have. Maybe I'm the only super moley person he's ever seen. I wish he'd just lie to me and tell me how beautiful my skin is - the few inches I have without a mole.
But the good news is that the doctor removes a "fishy" looking mole at every appointment I go to. So I lose a mole every year. But the down side is that my moles also multiply. As Murphy's Law goes, I probably gain 5 for every one he removes.
Abbie got to watch the removal process although she really didn't get to see anything. Does that make sense? She did tell me later that she saw them put the hunk of skin in a test tube.
I always inform them that I get woozy when they cut moles off. Even though they numb the spot, I can always feel a little bit of stinging/burning sensation. Not horrible but enough to make my palms start sweating. I've never passed out though.
So they let me lay down while he cut it off and that helps a lot. I have to call back sometime this week or next week to check on the results. Crossing my fingers that it's okay.
One down, 32,458 to go!

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Oh whatever!! *I* am THE moley-est person! LOL I get told all the time. It rather gets on my nerves too as it's very often dermatologists who have been in the skin business for years. What irritates me is when it's the nurses or some other doctor and they say, "Wow! You have a LOT of moles." Like I didn't know that. Hello? LOL

Hope it's okay. I'm sure it will be. Where was it by the way? At least they didn't CUT it out and you didn't get stitches. That's the way mine usually go. :( You get to feel the pull of the sutures as they're sewing then. Ick!