Thursday, March 6, 2008

I was reading a p0rnn* book, when....


* I purposefully spelled that wrong so this blog doesn't end up as a google hit for perverts!
I wasn't really looking at a p0rnn book, but I could have been looking at something embarassing! Here's the story: I was minding my own business at Barnes & Noble at 2pm on a weekday, sitting in the floor, browsing several books on grant writing, when the chairman of the school board (which I am a member) came by with his 1 year old son. He said, "I think I'll buy a book on grant writing." He was just teasing, trying to get my attention. I looked up when I realized that I recognized the voice. It was no big deal. We had a nice conversation.

As I was leaving the store with my purchase, I realized that he could have caught me looking at something embarrassing. Because, honestly, I browse all kinds of things because I am a curious person and I like to learn. Now, I just buy the regular books, but I've been known to look at (browse, read a little, flip through) whatever catches my eye on the shelves. I don't go looking for these books, sometimes the marketing people strategically arrange the books so that they practically grab me as I'm walking by (see, it's not my fault). I mean, I could have been looking at Confessions of a P0rnn Star or Naked Pictures of Famous Movie Stars or an oversized picture book of Bizarre Mating Habits of Primates or Anarchists for Dummies. You get the picture. It really would have embarassed me!

So now, I am going to have to sandwich my illicit browsing material between Pride & Prejudice and Forbes magazine and slink over to the computer book section (where not too many people frequent) and stand with my back to the wall, pull my ball cap down, put my sunglasses on, and cut my eyes around the store after each sentence or picture while browsing How to Take Care of Hemorrhoids.
Conversations with Abbie:
While watching bull riding on cable, I told Abbie that I've always thought that men in cowboy hats look really cute. She said, "Why don't you just buy dad a cowboy hat?"

1 comment:

Annie said...

Oh Lorrie...That is too funny! You really made me laugh:)