Friday, February 29, 2008

So long, piggies!

I've decided to stop eating pork.
This shouldn't be too much of a surprise since I am a big animal lover. And really, this decision has been a long time coming. I've thought about it a lot over the years (mostly about beef). And I'm not much of a meat & potatoes kind of girl anyway. I just felt like God was really talking to me about this. Here were the signs:
#1) I read a book about the conditions on pig farms and slaughterhouses
#2) Then I had a dream about having a pig that I kept in the bathroom.
#3) Then I told a friend about the pig dream, and she said, "that is so weird because I just had a dream in which I found a note that said, "Give the pig to Lorrie.""
#4) Then Abbie brought home her next novel studies book, Charlotte's Web. After reading the first chapter together, which is about a girl rescuing a pig from getting killed, I decided that God had sent me enough signs.
Of course, maybe I'm not supposed to stop eating pork. There are other possibilities:
#1) Get a pet pig
#2) Tell everyone about the atrocities at pig farms and slaughterhouses
#3) Maybe God is not talking to me at all
#4) Maybe I am crazy and should stop looking for signs from God, karma, etc
#5) all of the above
But I'm still going to stop eating pork. And it won't be easy. I like bacon (lots of it), pork tenderloin, pork barbeque, ribs and sausage.
However, I don't plan to be ridiculous about this. I might eat pork once a month. Is that too wishy-washy? I might just decide to make annual donations to the League of Animal Defense fund (I'm not really sure the name of the charity) instead of going semi-vegetarian. I'm sure giving up beef will be down the road too. I pass these sweet mother cows and their calves all the time - they are such good mothers - so this has been bothering me for some time.
So we'll see how this goes. I plan to stick with it, and Paul is supportive of my decision.
If I had a picture of a pig, I'd post it here. If you go to Cuteoverload.com and scroll back (click "previous week" 3 times), you'll find pictures of a mama dachshund that has adopted a piglet. Too cute!
Conversations with Abbie
I said, "Abbie, someday when you move out...." She interrupted me to say, "Mom, you know I am always going to live with you and dad!"

No comments: