Saturday, April 19, 2008

Chili


We like to watch Food Network. I have many favorites, but for some reason, I like to watch "Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives." Paul and I watched an episode the other night and one little dive had a secret chili recipe.
Paul has always wanted to be able to make kick ass chili. Stuff that just tastes awesome, that makes you say "ummmm" while you're eating it, stuff that you crave and that you can make better than anyone else. Obviously, my chili doesn't cut it. I don't really follow a recipe. I just dump a bunch of stuff in and taste it and add stuff, and taste it and add stuff until it tastes right.
A few years ago, we researched some chili recipes and found one that we thought would be a winner. It seemed different than what we currently make because it had cumin in it. We thought maybe that was the key ingredient - the thing that was missing from ours. Well....I didn't like it. The cumin made it taste weird. To me, anyway.
Paul has found a new recipe that he wants to try. It has cocoa powder, beer, and coffee in it. We shall see if it is any good.
*I just scanned the recipe and saw 1 Tbsp cumin seeds - yuck!* Maybe I'll give it another shot and see if my memory is wrong.
In the above pictures, Abbie and Paul are spreading mulch. Abbie loves to spread mulch for some reason. I think she just loves using my little "lady rake." It is a pretty awesome rake!
Dream update - Last night, I dreamed about Paul's family again! I tell ya, it happens often!
Conversations with Abbie
Abbie likes to discuss social issues and have deep conversations. I often have to pause and search for answers and explanations. Lately, she's asked me about China and communism. She also likes to discuss the people who make cigarettes. She can't understand why someone would want to make a product that is harmful to people's health. We talked about it for a while and then I explained that there are all types of people in the world and she will meet many people in her lifetime. She will have to decide if each person is someone that she would like to have as a friend or husband, etc. When she meets someone, she'll have to ask herself, "would this person help someone in need? would this person stop to help a lost animal?" After I said this, she said, "You made the right choice." She was talking about me marrying her dad.
Abbie made up the following joke:
"How does a cowboy laugh?"
I don't know, how?
"Yee Haw-Ha-Ha-Ha!"

No comments: