Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Earth Day



Annie called me at 11 am today to tell me that there would be a special show on Oprah in honor of Earth Day. There would be a particular segment on composting which she knows I am interested in trying. Thanks, Annie!

I picked up Abbie at school at 3:15 today. Two minutes after getting into the car, she told me the following facts with a grave tone:

"They are cutting trees down in the rainforest, enough to fill a football field, every second.

100 miles of ice has melted in the Arctic.

In 10 years, the Earth will not be as healthy as it is now.

Did you know that, mom? We need to make signs. We need to act now. We have to get the word out. Are you scared, mom?"

So I gave Abbie some paper and she made a list of the things we can do to help. I explained to her that each person can do something to help, no matter how small. She wrote down:

Don't waste water. Don't waste paper. Make compost. Start a recycle box. Plant a tree, etc....

As soon as she finished her homework, we watched the special Oprah show and really enjoyed it. We plan to start composting soon. Since we live in the county, we do not have a recycling program like city residents have. I use to have a clothes basket in the garage for plastic and cans and bottles and paper. But I was the only one schleping all this stuff into town to the recycling center. No one helped me. So I finally quit. But now that Abbie is interested, I think we could start again.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Lorrie,

You should talk to your neighbors about starting a car pool recycling program. Everyone starts saving up their recycling and then you all take turns taking it all to the dump. There are only 3 people in my neighborhood that recycle on a regular basis. This makes me mad!!! I want to go and knock on doors to tell people that it is important to recycle. The county is going to start ramping up their efforts too by giving out larger bins so that people can just dump everything in without having to sort it. Hopefully they will come more than just 2 times per months. That stuff really adds up. I am glad to hear that Abbie is excited. It is really fun when you get going. I can't wait to teach Aiden. Abbie is a very smart girl!!

Annie said...

PS. Is that tree at your house???So BEAUTIFUL!!! Wish we had that out here in no mans land!