Saturday, March 7, 2009

Outdoor Work

Today was warm enough (t-shirt and shorts) to work outside in the flower beds. There may have been one other day (a short one) in the past 30 days that was nice, but I didn't take advantage of it.
Today, I raked leaves out of flower beds and picked up sticks and swept the sidewalks. I raked the side crevices of the sidewalks and then had to sweep again. I trimmed back 12 patches of monkey grass. I picked up most of the clippings and twigs and leaves that I accumulated, but there are still a few piles left in the yard.
I started at one side of the house (the side with the garage doors) and I did most of the fenced area of the backyard, and I did a little less than half of the front yard.
My point in all this is that I thought I'd get it all done today. But I didn't.
Although it would have gone quicker with a helper (especially an adult one), I still thought I could do it all myself. Abbie was at an all day play date so I had no distractions, no one to make lunch for. I had all the equipment I needed with me so there were not a bunch of trips to the garage - back and forth.
So I'm wondering - do I have too many flower beds? or am I too slow? or something? Technically, I prefer to trim back the monkey grass in the fall, but I have procrastinated the last two years. I guess that was my downfall.
However, picking up twigs could be a full time job around here.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

We paid Englewood extra to pick up our sticks. LOL We have a LOT with our two willow trees, especially the curly/corkscrew willow tree.