Monday, June 15, 2009

6-15-09

3 weeks into summer vacation, and just now, I feel like our summer can begin. We went on vacation the first week, spent the second week doing laundry and general clean up and putting stuff away (and looking at the checkbook for the vacation damage).

I think we're going to the pool tomorrow - if it doesn't rain. I honestly don't mind all the rain we've gotten this year. We need it! It has not been very hot so far either.

Milestone for an older child - Abbie's feet almost sit flat on the floor when she sits on the toilet.

Paul and Abbie have re-started work on the fabulous Lego Deathstar. They stopped work after Christmas because we discovered several missing pieces. But Lego was cool about sending all the replacements.

We are going to start fostering kittens (still nursing and too young to be adopted yet). Before we left on vacation, we had many offers but were told to wait until we returned. Now, the shelter is fresh out of kittens. But I made sure we're at the top of the list when a new batch comes in. Can't wait!

We discovered Dogtown on Nat'l Geographic channel. Love it! During our trip to Utah, I discovered a brochure for Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. Abbie and I will go there for vacation someday to volunteer.

Abbie is not afraid of frogs (neither am I). Paul is.

We discovered the tiniest frog I've ever seen while we were at the beach. We were playing putt-putt. Maybe they were babies - not sure. Small as a dime. We caught a few and let them go. Later as we were getting in the car, Paul pointed out a teen who was killing something with her putt-putt mallet- really whacking something ruthlessly. He thought maybe it was a frog. I think I went into shock. Planet Earth has little hope with people out there who litter (especially on the beach when there are plenty of garbage cans around), people who ruthlessly kill/abuse animals (even frogs), or people who kill babies. At first, I typed "no hope" but then I amended it.

And yet all is right with the world when a pot of soup beans comes out exactly right.

Abbie spent the night with my mom. For breakfast, she made her scrambled eggs, bacon, and toast. Abbie asked my mom if her eggs were as good as mine. My mom said, "Well, I reckon so, Abbie. Your mom grew up eating my eggs so I guess they're good." While Abbie was eating, my mom asked her if her eggs were as good as mine. Abbie simply said, "No."

I can't drink organic milk. I have bought organic milk several times in the past. I'd prefer my milk without added hormones and antibiotics. I've bought several brands, but they have all spoiled before their expiration date. When we got back from the beach, I went shopping at Earthfare and all their milk is organic so I had no choice. I poured it out today (the expiration day was today). The reason I poured it out was because I haven't been drinking it (psychosomatic). I poured a little in a cup just to check. I only smelled it though, and it was gross! I don't know; maybe it's all in my head, but I'm back on Mayfield.

We ate at a Melting Pot while we were at the beach - our first time. We really enjoyed it. Wish we had one close by.

While we were at the beach, we stopped at Krispie Kreme. I asked Paul if he wanted to go through the drive-thru. He said, "No, that would be like going through a strip club drive thru. You have to go in to get the proper amount of temptation." Too true - we left with more than a dozen.

No comments: