Saturday, June 13, 2009

Kid in A Candy Store

Once I get my pictures loaded, I'll post some about our beach trip.

Abbie's been gone for two days - spent the night with my mom one night and the next night with her cousin. I hate her being gone, but she had fun. I asked her if she missed us, and she said no. !!!!!

Before I went to pick her up today, I went to the library (the candy store). Abbie and I both needed more books. While I love, love, love going to the bookstore; I also love going to the library. Since the books are free to borrow, I usually check out more than I can read b/c I can't seem to stop myself. I discovered a new writer (Adriana Trigiani), and I'm trying to finish the series. The library had one of the ones I needed, but I also got another book of hers that is unrelated to the series. And I got a cookbook. While looking for the cookbook, I discovered a college lecture series on DVD. I checked out the science selection since that is currently Abbie's favorite subject. The DVD has about 8-10 lectures on it, and there are 5 DVD's for this subject. I wonder if she will find them boring? Well, if it's just a professor standing there lecturing, I will also find them boring. But if there are lots of pictures, I think we'll enjoy it. There were many other subjects available. It was hard for me to make up my mind.

With the library being downtown, there are usually some interesting characters hanging around. Homeless people come in often to enjoy the heat or air conditioning depending on the season. As long as they are reading the paper, book, or magazine; they can stay as long as they like. I'm glad.

I had to return some books upstairs in the reference section (our library has a cool program for book clubs), and this area is where people go to get on the Internet. Many, many interesting people there too. I like to look at their screens as I walk by just to see what interests them (no, I don't read their stuff, I just look at the website in general). I can remember when we didn't own a computer when we lived in Kentucky, and I had to go to the library to check my email. Glad I don't have to do that anymore. Librarians must have an interesting job, but I'm sure they don't enjoy "babysitting" the public like they sometimes have to.

I remembered some books that I enjoyed in middle school that I thought Abbie might enjoy. I couldn't remember the author or the titles, but I asked a librarian to help me anyway. I gave her a description and she knew the books! Unbelievable!!

I did possibly meet a "disturbed" person as I was walking in today. When I started up the walkway, he got up off the wall and started walking directly in my path (there was lots of room around me). I was afraid I was going to get accosted, but he didn't touch me. Although he did look directly at me and mutter some ugly words as he walked past. Bleh!

The only thing I don't like about the library is that some books that you want are either checked out, or they don't have them. I like immediate gratification.

I got several books for Abbie. We'll probably have to go back to the library this week because she reads fast like me. I can't keep her in books so she sometimes has to re-read her favorites. Thank goodness she has a huge collection already. I'm getting her a new series for her birthday. She just finished the Dear Dumb Diary series. I am on the last one because I like them too. I try to keep up with what she is reading. These books are hilarious, and I don't understand how I man writes so well about a middle school girl. I wish these books had been available when I was Abbie's age.

Today, I asked her what she wanted for her birthday. As usual, she said she didn't know. I have a feeling that I will have to wing it.

P.S. the new Wendy's frosties look scrumptious! We're going tomorrow after church.

No comments: