Monday, November 2, 2009

Blowing Rock, North Carolina

Nov 2 - we picked up our second batch of foster kittens. There are 6 kittens this time. You can follow their story here.
Abbie had a short Fall Break at school so we went to Blowing Rock, NC. We've never been there. It is less than 2 hours away - up in the mountains - a really beautiful area. We went fishing - something she really wanted to do.

You have to hold you mouth just right to catch a fish! Truthfully, when you go to a trout farm, there is no real skill involved. You put the nightcrawler on the hook (yes, I bait my own hook), cast the line, reel the line in slowly, and you'll catch a fish. They were big ole trout too! We caught 4 and ate some for dinner tonight.

Some of my best advice is this: Some things are worth turning around for. We drove past an inn and I caught a glimpse of some bunnies and insisted that Paul turn around and go back. #1 - the inn was beautiful, and I intend to go back and stay. #2 - they have numerous bunnies to enjoy. The caretaker gave us some carrots to feed them. Despite the ongoing rain, we took our time and enjoyed the experience.

We stayed at the Chetola Resort. There is a lake (large pond?) out front, and there were several swans. This one followed us as we walked around the lake/pond.
A section of Chetola Resort is a Bob Timberlake Lodge. And there is a restaurant. The fog lasted until about 3:00, dissipated for about an hour and then came back in full force.
Even with all the fog, I thought the whole area was very scenic.

We had hoped to enjoy some more fall foliage. But with the fog, that wasn't really possible. But I loved all the fog! I did wear a hat the whole trip b/c my hair and fog are not friends.

This male spent a lot of time grooming his feathers. We stole one - super soft (we stole a feather, not the swan)!

At an inn near downtown Blowing Rock. All in all, we had a good time.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

I was hoping your trip went well with the yucky weather. I didn't remember to ask when we stopped at your house on Halloween night. I'm glad you had a good time. So did you TOUCH the fish and did you all clean them or did they do it for you at the place?