Monday, April 19, 2010

Tuna Salad

I felt the need to post instructions on how to make great tuna salad, but I also feel the need to say that I really dislike the tuna commercial where everyone is making the fish lips. And I also feel the need to tell you (the crickets) that my mom taught me everything I know about tuna salad.

Recipe:
2 cans solid white albacore tuna in spring water*
6-7 sweet gherkin pickles**
sweet pickle juice
3 hard boiled eggs***
2 spoonfuls of mayonnaise

*Growing up, my mom used the regular tuna which was tan/brown in color. That tuna is okay to use - I'm not sure if there is a difference in taste. Once I tried white tuna, I've stuck with it b/c I like the color of the salad better - to me, it looks more appetizing. Brown tuna salad reminds me of a sandwich you'd get out of a vending machine. Yuck!
** If you and your whole family loves dill pickles, I suppose you could use dill pickles. I wouldn't hold it against you, but DON'T ever serve me tuna salad with dill pickles.

Put eggs on the stove to boil. In the meantime, open and drain tuna (I usually rinse mine too). Dump tuna in a bowl and use fork to break it into smaller bites.
If you buy larger pickles than the gherkin size, you may not need this many pickles. Using a chopper, chop pickles 3-4 at a time. You can chop the pickles fine or medium; I like medium to get a better crunch and taste of pickle in the salad. Pour a little sweet pickle juice in the bowl with the tuna and chopped pickles - about 1 to 1-1/2 tablespoons. If the eggs are done, peel and chop them with the chopper. Again, you can chop them fine or medium; your choice. Depending on how "wet" you like your tuna salad, you may want to add just one spoonful of mayonnaise to start. Mix everything together and add more mayonnaise if you like - I almost always add 2 spoonfuls. I don't like a dry tuna salad, but do keep in mind that it will get juicier while it sits in the refrigerator.

You can start eating your tuna salad immediately, or you can let it chill in the refrigerator for an hour or so. Tuna salad is great as a sandwich (with fresh, soft, white bread or on toast), served with club crackers, or on celery. I've also eaten it straight.....with just a fork.

Despite being a picky eater as a child, I loved tuna salad and still do. Luckily my daughter does too so I had to make a second batch last night due to her special request.

1 comment:

Shanna said...

Mmm! I love great tuna salad. I'm not sure if I have ever had yours, but I'm gonna use your recipe and make some later this week.