Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Our Boy is Home

Angel came home this morning.

Losing a pet is horrible. Losing a child must be a gazillion times worse. I lost Abbie for 2 minutes in a big, public, busy place (and it was dark) and that was horrible. I actually thought she might have been abducted so I was 1 second away from a full blown panic attack when she came back. I won't tell that story this time (but I will say I lost her without taking my eyes off her - figure that one out!).

Angel was missing approximately 36 hours. And there was a dark cloud over my life. As much as I've been looking forward to vacation, I was dreading going b/c I was worried Angel might come home while we were away.

When it got dark, I worried more about him - was he scared, did he know where he was, could he get home? It rained, and I worried again - was he scared, was he wet and cold, was he far away?

I've been looking out the kitchen window multiple times a day. We had flyers made, and we distributed them around the neighborhood yesterday. I was going to the humane society today and to the local vets. Luckily, Angel is microchipped. He won't wear a collar. He claws at it until he bleeds.

This morning, before I made breakfast for Abbie, I went out the backdoor and called for him. He wasn't there. While I was looking out over the yard, wondering if I would ever see him again, I heard a meow, and I turned and saw him running to me. He got a can of cat food before Abbie got her breakfast, but she didn't mind.

I took him to the bedroom and put him on the bed so Paul could see him too. He smiled and said, "Now I won't be in the doghouse anymore."

Angel is on my lap right now. He's being a little clingy.

Abbie news - Abbie asked me another sensitive question today. I guess she's got things on her mind. But it's normal, and it's time for her to be asking.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Oh no, you're going to have to tell me about the sensitive question. So glad Angel is back! Daisy won't wear a collar either. She gets it off. We bought the no-choke kind for her when she was a kitten still and tried it several times. We found it several times in the yard where she was pulling it off so I gave up.