Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Our Beach Trip

Annie says she wants to hear about our beach trip. I haven't blogged about it yet because it was absolutely perfect, and I didn't want to gush TOO much! But, okay, I will!
It was a quick trip. We left on Friday around 2 pm, but unfortunately, due to the gas freak out, it took a while to find a gas station without a long line or that was not completely out of gas.
It takes about 5 hours to get to Charleston. After stopping to eat and stretch our legs, we got to our hotel at about 9pm. We immediately went for a walk on the beach. The weather was so nice despite the hurricane happening in the Gulf. The water was still warm; skies clear.
We had a wonderful moonlight walk in the waves and along the shore. Abbie skipped through the water, and it was a perfect night to hold hands. *I told you I would be sappy!*
On Saturday, we spent most of the day on the beach, in the water, and playing in the sand. I'll get around to posting pictures eventually. Later in the afternoon, we drove into Charleston and took a carriage tour of the town. It was only an hour long, but we learned a lot! Then we ate at Hyman's, a famous seafood restaurant and shopped at the open air market. By the time we got back to our hotel, it was dark again. Our hotel had a cafe/bar on either side and had live music outside each night. I enjoyed that. We took another walk on the beach, in the moonlight, holding hands and skipping through the water. We walked further this time in order to savor every moment on the beach that we could.
On Sunday, we spent more time at the beach and got the hotel to extend our check out time. Then we came home. :(
I like Isle of Palms so much better than Myrtle Beach. I grew up spending vacations at Myrtle Beach, and I've always enjoyed it and the many activities there. But now that I'm older, I enjoy the a more laid back environment. At Isle of Palms, there is no cruising down the boulevard, no rowdy teens (at least, not on this visit), no huge hotel skyscrapers, etc. At Isle of Palms, I only saw 3-4 hotels, and they were only 3 stories. The rest of the area was really nice houses on the beach.
This recent trip really got me to thinking about our upcoming big anniversary trip. We had planned to go to Atlantis on Paradise Island in the Bahamas. Now, I'm thinking that we might have just as much fun renting a nice house on the beach in Florida. We've always wanted to stay in Seaside or at the Watercolors Resort (both of these are very close to Destin, and we LOVE Destin). So I'm doing my research, and we'll make a decision soon.

No comments: