Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Warning *Litter Box Zone* Under Construction


Whew! I think I have the litter boxes under control now. Maybe....
I spent hours today working on a new set up. Emptying and cleaning the boxes and installing new ones with brand new litter.
First of all, the biodegradeable corn stuff isn't working out. On the surface, it was working (clumps fine, smells nice in the bag), but we've been getting whiffs of ode de poo for the last several days even though I scoop regularly. Is that sharing too much to admit to that smell being in our house?
Anyhoo, I went back to my old brand of litter, Scoop Away. I went to the pet store today and literally spent 1/2 an hour or more staring at and analyzing new litter boxes. My current set up is one covered litter box and one regular-pan-type-open litter box. There were so many options, but I finally chose a new box to replace the pan-type-open box. The new box doesn't have a high step to get in, but it does have a clear cover, and a flap on the door which supposedly helps with odor control.
And I bought a new mat for them to step on as they exit the litter box. I'm sure I could have found a cheaper and similar non-slip mat at Walmart, but I didn't want to make another stop.
Is all this worth it for 2 cute new kittens? Jury's still out, but we do love them an awful lot. I do miss the days of having an indoor/outdoor cat with no litter box to scoop (Samantha/Molly/Ellie). But the turmoil of finding out your cat has been run over (Molly), or accidentally running over your cat as you pull in the garage (a constant worry with Molly), or wondering if your cat is lost (Baby/Ellie) may be worth having indoor only cats. We shall see!

No comments: