Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day

We're having a great day. For Mother's Day, Abbie and Paul made breakfast for me. Not to be outdone, Abbie and I made breakfast for Paul.
We made belgian waffles with our new waffle maker. I broke down and bought the restaurant style belgian waffle maker. For some reason, I like belgian waffles better than the ones with the smaller divots (is that what you call them?).
When Paul saw the new waffle maker, he said, "Hey, I was going to get you one of those for Mother's Day but I couldn't find one." So now I don't feel bad about the expense.
For Paul's main gift, we got him an expresso machine. He's been wanting one, but he just couldn't make up his mind so I decided for him. I didn't take it out of the box in case he wanted to take it back, but he's keeping it.
I also bought and prepared Dunkin Donuts coffee this morning. We had scrambled eggs and served blueberries, raspberries, and whipped cream with the waffles (and of course real maple syrup). They were so good, we had them for lunch too.
The best news is that the waffle recipe I used was awesome! I just lucked out. I was going to use the recipe that came with the waffle maker, but that recipe called for 1 packet of dry yeast. I didn't have any. So I pulled out my trusty Better Homes and Garden cookbook - I used that recipe but added 1/4 cup of sugar. It was amazingly good. I'll have to post it soon when I post pictures. Paul said it was like donuts (not sweet, just a really good flavor). The waffles came out perfect with a light crispy outer layer and soft and fluffy on the inside.
Paul was really surprised with his 10 for $10 candy. He's already opened the licorice.
Church today was a very moving experience. For one, Abbie likes to be held while we sing. Paul holds her and she puts one arm around Paul and one arm around me. It's a great family experience, being so close while we sing (Paul doesn't sing although Abbie is encouraging him). Second, a new member sang a solo titled "I Want to Be Like You." Basically, the lyrics are "I want to be like You because he wants to be like me." -- His little boy looks up to him and wants to be like his father so the father wants to be like the Heavenly Father. It was very moving and there were a lot of tears in the congregation. It makes you realize that you do need to be as good of a person as you can be because you are setting an example for your children who are watching. The lyrics could have easily been "I want to be like You because she wants to be like me." -- You can apply this to a son or daughter. Third, our preacher is a very good story teller and spoke about his father today. He always keeps our attention.
Currently, Paul and Abbie are playing Star Wars Lego on the Wii. Just before that, we did another test run of the new art project we're working on. I took pictures and will post examples soon.

No comments: