Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Inspired by Annie

I sure am glad that my sister-in-law, Annie, convinced me to start a blog. So far, I'm not an everyday blogger, but I certainly have enjoyed keeping in more direct contact with my Nevada relatives. With blogging, I can tell more about my daily life without it seeming like I am talking non-stop about myself. Sometimes, when I send out a family email, I feel like all I am saying is "blah, blah, blah, me, me, me, me." But blogging doesn't make me feel conceited because people can choose to read it or not.
I visit several blogs - some are scrapbooking, some are animal related, some are just moms writing about their families, some are creative and odd, some have wonderful writing, and I always read Annie's 2 blogs (and she is the only other family member to have one so far).
While reading Annie's blog, I have been inspired to read some of the books she has mentioned. I am currently listening to Animal, Vegetable, Miracle - only the audio book was available from the library. I am really enjoying this book, and it has further inspired me in several topics that I was already interested in.
When Annie posted a picture of the strawberry jam that she made, I realized how much I miss the strawberry jam that my grandmother used to make. So yesterday, I went to my mom's house and we made two batches. It was so easy! Why haven't I tried this years ago? I bought extra jars and Sure Jell and sugar yesterday so that I can make more. I've already given away two jars to my brother. Tomorrow, Abbie and I will go to the Farmer's Market to buy more strawberries.
I plan to make regular visits to the Farmer's Market this year - which was inspired by Animal, Vegetable, Miracle - and Annie gets some credit too since she suggested the book.
Annie has also gotten me interested in composting. I still haven't bought the composter yet, but I will!
Annie, thanks for the pictures you post and the ideas you share because all of this really does make a difference to me! And I enjoy the up-to-date family info and photos.

1 comment:

Annie said...

Oh Lorrie, you are so sweet. Thank you for taking the time to even read my blog...i know it is a bunch of blah blah blah, but it is a good outlet for me. I think I have been doing more blogging lately because it helps me to relive some of the stress with my dad. I too have been reading some amazing blogs. I have recently discovered Pioneer Woman and I love love love it! I saw that you have it on your blog. You may want to check out Google reader.com if you have not already...just sign in with your blogger account and add subscriptions (cut and paste in web addresses) This cuts down on the amount of blog surfing you need to do because the blog posts come to you by RSS feed. Let me know if you want help setting it up, it is a pretty neat system. This is also how I discovered Pioneer Woman. Anyway, I love keeping in touch with you too!
Annie