Thursday, June 5, 2008

Summer Hair-Do

Not too long ago, I got my hair cut. I keep a regular "beauty shop" appointment, and at the last appointment, I said "let's go shorter."
So she did. And I didn't hate it, but I never can fix it like she does.
Several friends, unprovoked, said that they really liked it this short. Now that comment could mean several things: 1) they lied, 2) they really did like it, 3) they noticed that my hair was shorter and thought a comment was in order and using their southern manners said they liked it whether they did or they didn't.
Paul doesn't like it. And truthfully, I don't either. I hope I don't disappoint all the people who told me they liked it and meant it!
So I've decided to let it grow out. Maybe really long, but my hair grows painfully slow so it will take awhile.
I've been straightening my hair for quite a while now. Since my hair is both naturally curly and ornery, straightening my hair is quite a chore. Quite--a--chore.
In the summer, I just don't want to go to all that effort. If I sweat or if it is humid, all my work will go to waste anyway. So now I have been washing it, applying lots of product* and sticking a headband in and skeddaddling!
*Products that I apply - mostly together - 2 or 3 at a time: Biosilk Silk Therapy or Kenra platinum silkening gloss AND Aussie gel AND Marc Anthony Strictly Curls. It takes a lot of product to kick ornery's butt and the frizz that goes with the natural curl.
So the other day, I was thinking my little curly do was cute. And I looked over at Paul, who was driving, and said, "so do you like my hair okay now that I've been letting it go curly?"
He didn't say anything. So of course, I said, "What?!?" Trying to choose his words carefully, he said, "well, it looks kind of messy, disheveled." And then he grimaced!
I pointed out that curly hair is rarely perfect looking. He said, "you've looked better."
Believe it or not, this doesn't hurt my feelings. The benefits that he doesn't realize is that it takes me 5 minutes to get ready. And I keep teasing him about the word disheveled. I've used that word about 6 times in the last 3 days.
But I'm still letting my hair be natural - curly, disheveled, and natural. I figure maybe I could be more creative, maybe find a new product that will tame the disheveledness right out of my hair. I just don't have time to fix it in the summer.
Now in the morning when I wake up - THAT is disheveled. This morning I told Paul that I looked like someone right out of Whoville - someone who had spent the night in the drunk tank down at the Whoville Police Station.

2 comments:

Annie said...

So much for growing my hair out! Remember how I said to stay away from the salon if you want to grow it out...well I didn't! It is all one length now, but so short...way above my shoulders. She "says" this will be a good cut to grow it out. We shall see. Also, she said I should hide the sissors and stop trying to cut my own hair...it isn't working:)

Foster Kittens said...

Annie,
I cut my hair too. I really try not to. When I go to the salon, I act all nonchalant and never reveal that I have had my paws on the scissors. But I know my hairdresser knows! They always do.