Saturday, June 7, 2008

Trying My Hand at Gardening

Today (I am really late, I know) I planted some corn. Early in the year, around February (maybe earlier), I started thinking about planting a garden. I have lots of yard space for a garden, but we live on a corner lot so most of our lawn is "on display." Basically, the neighbors can see everything. And unfortunately, we do care a little bit about what the neighbors think. *But I could really tell some stories about things we've done that I know has caused the neighbors to laugh at us. We are "those people" in our neighborhood - the ones that cause people to point and whisper and crane their neck as they drive by. I'll tell those stories another time. I only bring it up now to prove that we only care a teeny bit about what they think about us. We mostly do whatever we want.
But I hesitate to just plant a garden anywhere because I am a pansy ass (a phrase that The Pioneer Woman uses and I like it). I don't enjoy the heat or sweating or getting dirt under my fingernails. Ick! And I know myself. I know my limits and my weaknesses. I know that if I plant a garden, I will let it get weedy or dilapidated. So in my early musings, I knew I couldn't have a big garden.
I approached my mom and told her that I am now (after all the years of being a non-vegetable eater and a non-helper in the garden in my growing up years) ready to learn about gardening. I asked her if she would let me help with her garden this year in exchange for her growing a little extra for me. She said she would, but so far she hasn't ask me to help. That's okay because when it is time to plant she doesn't have time to wait on my schedule to clear up. In anticipation of the planting, I sent off for some seed catalogs. I didn't purchase anything because my mom had the seed she needed, but I enjoyed reading the catalog. I saved it to use in case I really get the gardening bug. When it is time to hoe and weed my mom's garden this summer, I will have time to help her now that my schedule has cleared up.
My brother has also planted a big crop of beets. He grows them and I can them and share them with him. I think we'll have a bigger crop this year.
But I was still itching to grow some things on my own - on a small scale. I currently have one tomato plant - in an upside down planter. It is growing well. I haven't forgotten to water it yet. I don't really like tomatoes - raw, anyway. But I do like salsa and plan to can some if this plant produces well.
Today, I planted 3 varieties of corn. When I was buying the seed, I couldn't decide so I bought the 3 I thought I'd like best. Paul found a spot for my small, small garden that is away from most of the neighbor's eyes. Paul was very helpful and enthusiastic about the project. I planted 2 rows with 6 seeds per row. I even drew a map so I'd remember which variety was planted where. I have already marked my calendar so I'll know when to expect to see the plants and when I should harvest. I watered and fertilized today.
We eat a lot of corn so I hope to be able to freeze several bags if my plants produce well. If this project goes well, maybe I'll plant peas or beans next year.

No comments: