Monday, June 16, 2008

Rumble, BOOM, Crack!

Another thing I love about summer - thunderstorms!
The clouds roll in, the sky darkens, the wind picks up, and the first, faint rumble of thunder in the distance makes me happy. Sometimes you see flashes in the dark gray sky without hearing any cracks of lightning. Then the rumbling comes closer and becomes more of a boom, boOM, BOOM - a sound that you can feel in your chest. The rain might begin lightly but usually comes in torrents, and the lightning finally begins. You know the storm is right on top of you when you hear, "BOOM - pause - pause - CRACK!"
Of course, I don't want to be outside during a thunderstorm. Well, on the porch sometimes, depending on how close the lightning is. I know I've loved thunderstorms since I was very young. I think always having a snug house has made me feel safe therefore I can appreciate a good thunderstorm. We've had three storms so far this summer. One fizzled out quickly, but one was a doozy!

No comments: