Monday, June 16, 2008

Which color?

I called a painter today, and he is coming tomorrow to give me a quote on painting the kitchen and sunroom.
IF we move, we need the kitchen paint redone - it's the room in the house that we are in the most and therefore has the most blemishes. Several months ago, Paul and I watched an episode on HGTV, and the kitchen had cabinets very similar to the color of ours. They painted the kitchen a green color - I want to call it a moss green, but it's definitely not a bright kind of moss, and it is not a hunter green. Oh well, I can't quite put my finger on what you'd call the color, but I'm leaning in that direction for the kitchen color. It looked great in that kitchen in TV.
Directly off the kitchen is the sunroom which houses our dining room table. That room is a light shade of yellow, but today, I thought it was looking rather parchment. I'm not liking it. But the 2 main reasons we need to paint is because this room hasn't been painted since we moved in 7 years ago (not sure how long the paint was there before we moved in). Also, Paul had to install new drywall in one large area of the room, and he has never finished sanding and repainting that area. I have my fingers crossed that the painter will say he can also do that kind of work. Not sure what color I should pick for that room. It has 8 windows and a really high ceiling. Paul thinks this room should have a neutral color.
I'm going to Benjamin Moore store tomorrow to consult with the designer who will be able to help me narrow down some choices. I will bring home the paint swatches and tape them to the wall and see which colors I can live with. I think this is one of the best ways to choose a color before you actually buy the paint and begin. I usually get several swatches and tape them in different areas of the room - near a cabinet, near a pantry door, on a solid wall.
The sunroom also needs a rug under the dining table. On one hand, I just want to go to the big rug store in Virginia and pick something there. On the other hand, I'd love to get one of the multi color rugs by Flor. I have my eye on one that is gigi palm, kiki cream, fifi orange, zozo yellow, coco chocolate, cece chalk, and toto teal. I love color, and this rug just screams "sunroooooom!" I plan to go online and get an estimate.

1 comment:

Annie said...

You will have to post pictures of the finished product. I am excited for you! Clare is coming this tomorrow, I am busy today getting the house ready. I wanted to re-paint the kitchen so bad, but it is going to have to wait. I was actually thinking about a olive-ish green color. I am probably going to change my mind at least 10 times though before I actually commit. Talk to you soon:)