Monday, July 21, 2008

20 Year Reunion and Another Reunion

I---had---a---blast---at---my---reunion! I had to struggle remembering a few people's names, but I think I remembered 90% of the people. One thing that I thought was interesting: a lot of people looked even better than they did in high school. I think maturing and becoming an adult and learning more about social skills and fashion helped some people morph out of their mousey-ness. Hopefully, I can include myself in that category.
Before I arrived, I had butterflies in my stomach. It felt like the first day of school which was always my most shy day. Something about being away all summer made me worry so much about the first day....would I wear the right thing, would anyone talk to me, who would I sit next to in class.
Once I got there, I relaxed a lot because there were so many friendly people to talk to and sit with. But I still had butterflies. The one person I was hoping to see I had not seen in almost 20 years, and we had not parted amicably. But a week before the reunion, I emailed her and told her I was looking forward to seeing her, and I said I was sorry for not being a better friend.
She and her twin sister arrived late so I was out of sorts until they got there because I still wasn't sure if "it was all water under the bridge" or not.
The picture above (taken unbeknownst to me) was of our own reunion. And it was great! In some ways, it was like nothing had changed, but of course, we had a lot to catch up on. I'm not sure how often we will see each other, but I'm really pleased with the time I got to spend with her.
In my case, my closest friends from school are the ones that know my whole life story, that can finish a sentence that I start, that know all the inside jokes, that can say "remember when...." And because these people have been out of my life all these years, I've kind of had a hole; a piece of me missing. Oh, that's getting way too deep isn't it?
Too bad you can't see me better in my dress! I was having a good hair day and everything! And the shoes were smokin'!!!!!

1 comment:

Annie said...

I love that dress!