Friday, July 18, 2008

My Garden

Drum roll..............oh, wait, I don't have any pictures to post yet. But I will give an update and post pictures after this weekend.

I planted 10-12 corn plants. I wanted to go easy on my first crop, and I know my freezer has limited space. I want to eat some fresh corn, but I want to cut most of it off the cob and freeze it for the winter. I planted 3 corn varieties. The corn plants started coming up really nice (I did some jumping up and down with gleeful cries - oh yes, I did!) and then the big bad wolf came and blew them down. Wait, wrong story. A bad man who was in a hurry cut down my corn with his weed eater. I sank to my knees and was like "WTF?!" Then I called 911 (my mom AND my sister) to get their opinions on whether I had to replant or not. My mom said yes, my sister said probably not. So I left the little sawed off stalks and planted a new corn plant right beside of it. My mom said that if both plants lived then I could just pull up the smallest, youngest plant. The big bad wolf didn't win. The corn plants lived and the new ones came up too. And since I can't kill anything (except ticks and flies), I cannot bring myself to pull up the little, new corn plants. They are all growing happily together. I love the little garden plot that Paul made for me, but I realize now that it gets more shade than we thought. I think the corn might be bigger if it were getting more sun. I'm not using any pesticide, but I have used a "miracle grow" type substance (that is actually years old and I'm not sure how effective it is).
Recently, Abbie and I took a pencil outside, and I showed Abbie what to do. She used the pencil to poke a 2 inch hole near each corn plant then she put a bean (green bean) into each hole, pushed it down and covered with soil. She loved doing this! Today, we discovered that the beans are sprouting. They will grow up the corn stalk so they will not need to be staked. This is how the Native Americans did it.
I have one tomato plant growing upside down in a cat litter pail. It is growing very well, but it needs to be watered just about everyday. I forgot to water it for a couple of days and the leaves shriveled and some of the tiny tomatoes began to wrinkle. I panicked a little, but with careful attention, the plant is back to normal.
And they all lived happily ever after. The end!
At the end of August, I will be planting a crop of beets, spinach, and carrots. I've never grown these, but I know where I am going to plant them - in a sunnier patch.

No comments: