Friday, July 18, 2008

Going to the Prom

I went to the Senior Prom in 1988 and it was my first prom. I shopped forever for a dress. Tried on many. Went to several different towns, stores, and malls. My mom finally had to drive me to Knoxville, and I found a great emerald green dress there. I loved that dress. I wore a pair of shoes that I already had. I did my own hair - long and loose with a little curl. Can't remember the earrings. No necklace. I don't think I painted my toenails or fingernails. I had a great time at the prom and danced a lot without my shoes on.
Fast forward 20 years. I am going to my 20 year reunion, and I have run myself ragged!!!! There's not enough explamation points to emphasize it. And there is not enough good things I can say about my daughter who has weathered all my shopping with no complaints. Am I grooming her?
I thought I would diet for a month or so and lose 10 pounds. Didn't happen.
But I did get rid of my grey hair this week and refreshed my highlights. I shopped at numerous stores over several days and found the perfect dress at the last store (where I didn't think I would like anything). I have looked at and tried on numerous pairs of shoes and found the perfect pair today at Sears!
I ordered a new purse but sent it back. I had something waxed (no hints). I got a pedicure today and washed my car. I borrowed a bracelet from my wonderful niece, Shanna. I'm using the same black satin evening bag I always use. I'm wearing earrings I already had. The dress needs no necklace. Oh, and before I found the perfect dress, I bought 2 other possible dresses, but returned them after I found the ONE. I am pooped and tired of all this running around.
But just so ya know - I have not gone over the top with anything. My dress was on sale for $50 (50% off with an extra 20% off). Shoes from Sears, nuff said! I needed a pedicure anyway. The hair appointment was my regularly scheduled one. And the dress is very normal - no sequins, no boof, no fluff. I'm not trying to impress anyone (except maybe Paul). I'm just hoping I can remember everyone's name!

1 comment:

Annie said...

Hey, I remember doing this too last year. I tried the Special K diet and managed to loose 5-6 pounds but gained it all back about 2 weeks after the reunion. I shopped around too but could not find anything I liked because I felt so freakin (emphasized!!!) fat from the baby. I could not believe that I was going to my reunion so soon after the baby. Oh well, we had fun anyway. It sucks to run all over town, but in the end you will look wonderful and feel great about yourself. Nothing like a great excuse to get all dolled up right? Right? Seriously though good luck and have a ton of fun...I forgot today was Friday and I thought for some reason that you went today.
Good luck, have fun and impress the pants off any of the other "popular" girls who have I am sure have by now got fat, or ugly...which you are SO far from it is not even funny:) Have fun!