Monday, October 27, 2008

Book Clubs

Since I read so much, some ladies at church asked me if I would start a book club. I procrastinated and delayed. Finally, they asked again so I said yes. I didn't tell Paul because I don't need anymore tasks/responsibilities/projects/things-to-do.

I finally picked a month that we would begin. Our first book was "These Is My Words." I have never been in a book club and didn't really know how to structure our meetings. I did seek the advice of a friend who is in a book club.

Our first meeting was in September. Everyone loved the book (thankfully), and we had a really good discussion.

Our next book was "The Thirteenth Tale." I had never read anything by this author, but I did enjoy the book even though it was very different from most books I read. We met today and had a nice discussion too.

Because of the symbolism of "Jane Eyre" in "The Thirteenth Tale," we have decided to read "Jane Eyre" as our next selection. I read this book in high school and seem to remember reading it again for fun, but I will enjoy reading it again.

I have to say that I really like discussing books with others. My husband never reads the same books as I do. When I finish a particularly thought provoking book, it can be frustrating not having anyone to talk to.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

I think I would like doing a book club. I've not read your first two and it's been a looooong time since I read Jane Eyre.

Foster Kittens said...

You're welcome to come to our meeting - it is very casual, and we usually meet on Mondays, 1:30-2:30. I'll email you the date.