Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Snake Charmers

Today, as we were driving home from school, Abbie said outloud, "King Richard, Beloved." Then she asked me if King Richard was a real king. I said, "yes, but it was a long time ago." She asked me how long ago, and I told her I thought it was during medieval times - I told her to imagine Robin Hood times ----- I was just guessing. I don't know the date!
She asked, "so he wasn't king during Laura Ingalls' time?" That was pretty funny because we just finished reading the whole Little House series of books, and she seems to refer to them quite a bit.
Then she asked, "like King Richard, the lion?" (She was refering to the Disney Robin Hood movie.) I said, "yes!" And she asked, "Did he really have a snake?" I laughed and explained that that was just a made up movie by Disney. Then she asked if King Richard was really a snake charmer. I had another giggle!
I asked her why she wanted to talk about King Richard, and she said she saw "King Richard Beloved" on a sign. I was puzzled and wondered if she saw an advertisement for a play called King Richard Beloved. I asked her what else the sign said. She said that all it said was King Richard B-L-V-D.
So I started thinking ....B-L-V-D, B-L-V-D over and over trying to figure out what it meant. Suddenly, I realized she was reading a street sign for King Richard Blvd. I explained what Blvd. stood for.

You never know what kind of conversation you'll have in the car on the way home from school!

No comments: