Saturday, October 25, 2008

Who's the Best Mom Ever?

Me!
I don't get that distinction every day, but I did yesterday.

Yesterday, Abbie was out of school. Since she had completed 25 extra at-home-academic projects, she earned a trip to Dollywood.

The day started out cold and cloudy. As we were getting on the interstate, it started to sprinkle. I think I've mentioned before that I do not check the weather before I head out. But Abbie earned a trip to Dollywood, and we were going no matter what!

Hesitantly, I suggested that maybe we do something else for the day, but she wisely stated that the weather in Pigeon Forge might be better. Abbie's glass is half full - a girl after my own heart! So we forged ahead.

As we got to Sevierville, the clouds parted and it did look like we might have some decent weather. At least it wasn't very cold.

Right now, Dollywood is having their annual Gospel and Harvest Festival. We visited several booths and saw several craft demonstrations (harps, dulcimers, stained glass, sorghum making, wood carving, etc). We bought some sorghum (yummy) and a hand painted Christmas ornament and some fresh made taffy.

Abbie was brave enough to ride the sky rider with me for the first time ever. I was really proud of her. And we took a train ride. And watched the magician show. Mined for some gems - we hadn't done that before and found a really, really cool shaped quartz.

While we were having lunch, it started raining really hard. We still had at least one activity to do. Abbie was most looking forward to riding the River Rampage. It's her favorite ride. You get pretty wet on this ride so I told her we had to ride it last because we didn't have a change of clothes, and it was too cold to walk around wet. I asked our waiter if the rides were closed since it was raining so hard, but he said they only close the rides if there is lightning.

Abbie stomped every mud puddle in the place so her pants were already wet up to the knees.
Luckily, Abbie and I had on rain ponchos which helped prevent us getting soaked from the rain itself.

When we got to the River Rampage, there was no one else in line or on the ride. We rode it, and she laughed the whole time. I got just a little wet. As we pulled into the dock, I asked if we could ride it again. So off we went. I got more wet this time, but we were sure having fun! We pulled into the dock and decided to go again. I told the ride attendants that we were part duck. And I was hoping for "mom of the year" status. He said I'd have to ride 16 more times. I think he was just making up that number. One whole leg and shoe got soaked this time. A big avalanche of water came over the boat right behind Abbie. She was thrilled!

So we rode 3 times then decided it was time to head home. At the gift shop, I bought her some sweatpants and socks, and I got a new sweatshirt. We changed in the car, and I immediately felt better being dry instead of damp. I even put on a pair of her socks, and they fit me! I decided to drive home without my shoes on since they were wet. It's such a strange sensation to drive without shoes. I was trying to put my finger on what was so weird about it. Finally, I decided driving in socks made me feel like Fred Flintstone.

Since we have season passes, we'll be going back to Dollywood for the Polar Express in December.

3 comments:

Who8MyLunch said...

Hey it sounds like you had a blast!!

Louisa said...

I think that does put you in the Best Mom Ever catagory.
You are a great mom Lorrie!

Leslie said...

I know why it felt weird. Because you were breaking the law. LOL Wade or someone told me that it's illegal to drive barefoot in TN. I guess technically you weren't since you had on socks. Glad you had a great time. :)