Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Donkeys




There are lots of donkeys in our area. In many fields, you will see donkeys. Either a field of donkeys or a field of cows with a donkey or two. I've been told that having donkeys with your cattle/sheep helps keep coyotes away.
I've also been told that all donkeys have a cross on their back. Mary rode a donkey to Bethlehem and Jesus is often described as riding a donkey. The legend is that the cross on the donkey’s shoulders comes from the shadow of Jesus' crucifixion.
In one field near our house, there is a mother donkey and her baby. The baby is super cute. One day, he was lying so still that I had to turn around and go back and check on him. No cars were coming so I parked near him and watched for a long time until I saw him twitch or flick his tail. I was worried he had died, but he was just sunning himself. :) Abbie is usually with me on my "turnaround" whims - these whims usually involve animals. What would I have done if he had never twitched? Would I have crawled under the barbed wire to check on him? I remember thinking about it while I was watching him.
Two days ago, Abbie and I drove past another donkey, and he had a bird sitting on his rump. Abbie and I had a nice laugh about it.

No comments: