Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Kittens

When I picked Abbie up at school today, I surprised her. We were going on our first "abandoned kitten rescue mission."
I was prepared with a towel (it had been raining all night), a bag of food, and a pair of old tennis shoes (for walking and searching). I suppose I could have used a cat carrier too. But I wasn't too worried. In case we couldn't find the kittens, we were going to leave the food with our friends so they could feed the kittens.
A friend had told me that someone had abandoned two kittens in her neighborhood. She was worried about the cold nights. I told her I'd come get them and take them to a shelter.
Abbie and I arrived and our friends took us to all the places they had seen the kittens. We called "kitty kitty" and I was using my sharp eagle eyes looking for movement under bushes and hemlocks.
We searched several different places. Abbie requested a good description of the kittens so we'd know what to look for.
We did find 2 squirrels.
Twice I thought I heard meowing.
Two neighbor girls finally arrived home from school, and we requested to look around their house too.
They told us that they had already taken the kittens to the animal shelter.
That was great - at least they were somewhere warm and dry, with food and water, a litter box, and a bed. Our animal shelter is very clean.
Tomorrow, Abbie and I are going to go visit the kittens (and all the other cats) and take a donation of used towels and rugs (which they use for bedding).
It was a successful mission. Abbie and I are good partners.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Very sweet! It's things like this that she'll remember about her mom when she grows up. :)