Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Abbie Still Lives Here

Some people (hopefully) may wonder why my blog is hardly ever about Abbie. Maybe Lorrie just likes to write about herself or cats? Not true.

Abbie still lives here. She's still sweet and snuggly and an animal lover and cute!

Here's what she's been up to: school (a given), homework (another given, but she has struggled this year - a post for another day), playing with the cats, riding her scooter, reading (a lot), playing Poptropica - an online game, asking when we can go to the animal shelter again, not watching much TV, whistling (I have to tell her to quit whistling at night so she will go to sleep), speaking with a French accent, and being sweet.

She likes to read books about animals - cats, dogs, foxes, manatees, you-name-it. She is currently reading a book about a fox named Rusty who gets caught in barbed wire.

And she likes to eat candy with Paul - they always have a stash somewhere.

She also likes to make elaborate snacks. I don't even think I could describe it, but she puts a lot of thought and variety in it.

Eating - she is such a great eater! I read an article in a parenting magazine that said you just have to keep serving healthy food to your kids, 0ver and over, and one day, they will eat it. They finally get used to seeing it. And the advice was that you shouldn't make them separate meals when they won't eat what you've cooked. That sounded like a lot of common sense to Paul and me so that's what we've done. In the past, when she wouldn't eat much of her meal, we said, "that's okay, we'll put it in the frig for later if you get hungry." WORKS! Whatever I cook (when I do cook), we put a little on her plate of everything available. She never makes a face and never declares "yuck" or "I'm not eating that." She doesn't always like what I make, and that's okay. We don't make her eat stuff she doesn't like, but she does have to try it. And we never make her clean her plate. But I can't say we've been good influences about drink choices, but I do find that she likes water more than she did. I guess I'm bragging about her eating habits b/c my own eating habits sucked for a looonngg time!

She has also developed an interest in climbing trees. She gets a chance every time we go to my mom's house. There is an apple tree there that is perfect for climbing.

Today, her class had a kickball competition with the second graders. They play them again tomorrow. I like cheering for her and watching her run the bases.

School is almost out - yippee!

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Oh, no, I see my name in the below post that I haven't read. LOL Anywho! Andrew is my good eater, Elizabeth is definitely a work in progress. We do the same about meals though - have to try (two bites) and if they get hungry later then they can finish their plates. LOL My kids rarely watch TV now too. I do have to limit their computer time though. ;)