Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Gas Prices

It takes $75 to fill up Paul's truck and over $50 to fill my car.
I heard this interesting analogy recently to help put things in perspective - for those who complain about gas prices (including me).
If you buy a 16 oz latte for $3.15. That is 19 cents an ounce. A gallon of that latte would be $24.32!
The point of the analogy is to show that we can cut things from our budget - store bought latte, cable, etc - in order to afford gas. Of course, cutting out needless trips and car pooling will also help.
Once Abbie gets out of school, that will cut out 2 trips to town everyday. I think Paul may start driving my car to work, and I will use the truck sparingly for errands.
Other tips I found in my credit union newsletter:
1) Fill up in the early morning when it is cooler. the colder the ground, the denser the gasoline. If you fill up in the afternoon and evening, what should be a gallon is not exactly a gallon.
2) Do not fill up if a tanker if currently filling the underground tanks at the station. Dirt and sludge is being stirred up when gas is added at high pressure from the trucks. That dirt and sludge could get into your tank.
3)Fill up when your gas tank is half full. The more gas you have in your tank, there is less air (and there is more technical stuff that I won't bother typing).
4) When filling up, do NOT squeeze the trigger to deliver the gas at the fastest speed. Fill up at the slow speed to minimize vapors. Vapors get sucked back into the underground tank and cause you to get less gas for your money.
I haven't fact-checked this info so I hope it is correct!

No comments: