Friday, May 16, 2008

Medicine

I'm probably prejudiced, but I think medications are great! Used as directed and under supervision of a doctor, they provide many benefits to people who need them. But I'm no expert. Not in the least.
But the reason for my post today is that I have recently seen a dramatic change in my dad. Here's the history: once he took early retirement, my dad spent all his time just sitting around, doing nothing except sleeping or watching t.v. He used to work outside a lot: gardening, piddling around. He also cooked a lot. I have many nice memories of my dad either in the kitchen cooking and whistling or outside (usually without a shirt) gardening and whistling. For about six years now, since his early retirement, he's done none of that. I clean his house and pay his bills because he won't. His personal grooming and hygiene has also gone down the tubes.
My dad doesn't have many health problems, but he does take 3-4 medications on a regular basis. I won't list them here, but one medication that he's taken for most of his adult life is valium. This is many people's "nerve pill" of choice. I don't have anything against that. Although it's just a bandaid, it helps people, and I have many relatives who take it.
He recently decided to stop taking valium (I'm not sure of his reasons), but it has made a dramatic difference. My dad has taken a new interest in his old hobbies. He's planted tomatoes, peppers, okra, and eggplant. He's doing his laundry. His handwriting is not as shaky and he seems more clear eyed and clear headed. He's driving and getting out of the house more. He had a chicken coop built, and he's going to start raising chickens again. Paul says that stopping this medication can make him feel better (mainly, I think this medicine was not needed due to some of the other meds my dad takes). When I pointed this out to dad, he said all he used to want to do was to sit around, but he didn't know that this particular medication was the cause. I didn't either (although I suspected, but I could never get him to listen to me). I feel bad about all of dad's wasted years sitting around the house, but I'm really happy that he's back to his old self.
I honestly thought my dad would never change - that his "sitting around all the time" existence would always be the same. But he's proven me wrong before, and he's done it again. It just goes to show that you can't give up. Sometimes making one change can alter your path. My dad will be 68 this summer.

1 comment:

Annie said...

Lorrie that is amazing. So happy to hear this. I remember you telling me a little bit about this. What a change. I bet he is so happy. I have heard that certain meds can actually make you depressed and you might not even know it. He must just feel so happy right now. I am impressed by his garden. It hit 104 today out of the blue and I was gone all day doing errands...when I got back I discovered that many of my happy plants were very very sad, a few of them even died. I had a burial for some of them this evening and started all over. I managed to save my tomatoes, most of my squash, my carrots and my peppers. I have a feeling this desert garden may not work though. Cross my fingers it will though:)