Sunday, August 3, 2008

At Annie's Request

I have finally posted pictures of my corn patch. The corn is much bigger now - there are tassles on the top and several stalks have ears with silk sticking out. The beans are at the base of the stalks and they are really starting to grow too.
It's just a little baby garden, isn't it? This is about all I can handle.
In late August, I am going to plant beets, carrots and spinach.

My tomato plant (which is hanging on the swing set, upside down, in an empty litter container) is doing fabulous. I hate tomatoes, but I guess I will make salsa or homemade spaghetti sauce???

With the fresh blueberries we picked today, I made a pie. With Abbie's help, of course. I froze several bags for blueberries. We're going to have some with our waffles tomorrow. And tomorrow, Abbie and I will make blueberry jam. I'm pretty excited about that.

We had a good time picking the blueberries today. The bushes are taller than us. They weren't loaded with berries because this family fills lots of local orders for restaurants and such. After they pick a lot, they let a select few of the public come in and pick. Paul, Abbie, and I each took a bucket and waded into the bushes. I think we picked about 11 pounds? I gave about a 1/3 to my sister. I hope we can make this an annual tradition. By the time we were finished, Paul was a little overheated. We'll need to take some water next time, and Paul should have worn the hat I brought him!

No comments: