Monday, August 11, 2008

Best Waffle Recipe from the Best Cookbook

I can't claim to be the best waffle maker because my waffle iron does all the work. It sets its own temperature, it sets the cooking time and beeps when the waffle is ready, and it provides the exact measurement for waffle batter. And the recipe is not my own either, but I did make one addition that Paul and I think improved the original recipe. I got the recipe from my red Better Homes and Garden New Cookbook, copyright 1989. I think every kitchen should have this cookbook. It has 19 chapters, lists meat cooking times, weights and measures (2 cups = 1 pint), lists emergency substitutions, and has a "special helps" chapter. This is my "go-to" cookbook when I question other recipes (3 cups of flour sounds like too much, what does my red cookbook say), when I can't remember how many minutes to boil an egg (I can't keep little bits of info like this in my head; I start wondering if it is 4 minutes, 7 minutes or some other amount and you have to get it exactly right if you don't want a raw yolk), and when I need directions on how to make a cup of coffee (I just learned how in the past year or so).
Here is the recipe with my one * addition:

The Best Waffles
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup white granulated sugar *
2 egg yolks
1 3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup cooking oil
2 egg whites
In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. In another bowl, beat egg yolks and add milk and then oil. Add egg mixture to flour mixture. Stir just til combined but still slightly lumpy.
In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form (tips stand up straight). ***I think the beaten egg whites are the key to making these the best waffles. I think it adds a crispness to the waffle. I am lazy and do not beat my egg whites with a mixer. I use my hand and a fork and my muscles give out before stiff peaks form. I just add whatever consistency I get to the waffle batter. Gently fold egg whites into waffle batter, leaving a few fluffs of egg white. DO NOT OVERMIX.
Pour 1 to 1 1/4 cups batter onto grids of a preheated, lightly greased waffle maker. Close lid quickly and do not open during cooking. Bake according to manufacturer's directions. Makes 3-4 waffles (I find that it makes about 5 waffles).
Yummy!

No comments: