Saturday, August 30, 2008

Bipartisan

I promise this isn't a political post! I watched the Democratic Convention last night and listened to Obama's speech. While I was watching, a thought struck me - I think it must be really hard to be a politician or work in the government- and I think there are a lot of similarities to serving on a board.
I've been on two boards - church and school. Real boards with real bylaws following Roberts Rules of Order, serving with people wanting to do good, make a difference, etc.
Just speaking from my own experience, I "ran" for the board position because I saw a need, a spot to fill, work to be done, and I wanted to help. I consider myself level headed and easy to get along with so I felt sure I would be a good fit. And it has been a rewarding experience - I've learned so much!
But it has been so hard!!!! You can't make everyone happy. All decisions have pros and cons. There are so many different personalities to deal with.
Some people come with their own agenda. Some people don't do much and hardly show up for meetings. As much as you communicate, it is never enough. There is misinformation given - some on purpose. Sometimes, info is buried. Sometimes, you're only fed the information someone else wants you to know. Sometimes, you're lied to. Sometimes, you trust people that you shouldn't. Sometimes, non-board members get the wrong idea of what they *think* the actual board is doing. Sometimes, you'll have an idea-no one is against it-the project will go forward and then if it doesn't work out, people will say "I knew we shouldn't have done that" and you wonder why no one spoke up when it was first discussed. Some people are having affairs together. Some people are pulling the cart, and some people are digging their heels in and slowing the cart down. Some people are looking to the future - trying to figure out how to grow and improve while others do not want anything to change because they don't think its broken. Sometimes, you can't get "backing" because there are people who won't speak up and will avoid confrontation at all costs.
Recently, I heard someone say "I'm going to run for the board next year. I'm going to [do it better]." I was thinking, "well, good luck, that's what I thought too." I've learned that even good ideas that everyone is in favor of take a while to get accomplished. Great ideas can't always get off the ground because money isn't budgeted for it.
And if anyone thinks my above examples are thinly veiled comments about current or past political/national events, you'd be wrong. This is all small town stuff that I've dealt with and noticed. There is intrigue, innuendo, cover ups, weirdos, snarkiness at every turn. There are also good, honest people that I am proud to work with.
I just think it would be hard to be a president (current or past) or a presidential hopeful or a senator or a presidential aid, a mayor, etc. After my current experiences, I have a newfound respect for these jobs.
It's hard to serve on a 15 person board and represent 100 people so it's got to be a million times more difficult to serve in the government.
I am glad my term is almost complete. Flip me over, I'm done!

1 comment:

Annie said...

This was a great post Lorrie! I would love to talk politics sometime though, I want to hear how you feel about McCain's VP pick! The trip was good, we are back. Tons of books! Holy cow, I will be knee deep for weeks I am sure of it. Fun stuff! I'll touch base tomorrow night on our project (I won't bother you during your day...family time) Have fun at the pool.