Friday, August 15, 2008

I *heart* my car

Today, I noticed that my Honda now has 170,000 miles - 30,000 away from 200,000. Not sure how long it will take for that number to roll over.
I love my car because it is so reliable and still purrs and still cranks right up every time. It doesn't make any wierd noises while it is running. It drives smooth and has plenty get-up-and-go.
Sometimes we talk about getting another vehicle. Sometimes I like that idea - I'd love some modern conveniences like driving directions, back up camera, heated seats, quieter, keyless, new paint job, etc. But sometimes the idea of a different vehicle scares me. I really like my car and know it inside and out. I can depend on it. Another car might let me down, might slide in the rain, might make a funny noise.
A newer car would smell better though. My car, I think, has developed an "old" smell. Yesterday, I took my carpet cleaner and cleaned all the carpeting and upholstery. I took the mats outside and suds/suddeds them up. This is a big job that I never look forward to, but I'm so glad I did it. It looks very clean now on the inside. Of course, today, it smelled like a slightly sweaty sneaker even though I let it dry completely in the sun yesterday. I sprayed it down with Lysol, and it smells much better now.
In the last year or two, I have had to spend some bucks $$$$ on repairs and maintenance, but I don't have a car payment (and haven't for some time) so I'm still coming out ahead. I always take it to Honda to be sure it's done right. I know I'm paying more, but I trust them. And they know me by now. I little inner voice that believes in conspiracies wonders if they might botch it up just so I'll buy a new car.....Hmmm.....
If we do get another car, I firmly believe I should get another Honda. Why switch? I might consider an Acura (same company). I also might consider a Toyota - I've had two of those without problems. We haven't even been looking at cars so this decision will be a ways off. I secretly think Paul believes he will be choosing the next car. Oh, contraire! I'll be picking what I'm driving. He keeps pointing at Infinities when we're on the road. But he knows how I feel.
For now, my Honda and I are just hunky dory!

No comments: