Thursday, November 13, 2008

Cats are Carnivorres

Who knew? Well, I knew, but it's not something I think about too much.

While having yet another litter box conversation with 2 other moms at school, asking for more litter brand suggestions, one mom suggested that I visit the newish, local Natural Pet Food Store. I told her I was willing to try anything!

I went to the store and liked the owners right away. The lady gave me several samples and told me how I needed to feed the cats a raw meat diet or at least buy food that is grain free. She said that now that they are neutered; the litterbox odor should improve.

Well, I fell for her whole spiel and even bought a holistic book about cats. I learned about the nutritional content found in mice (protein, fiber, moisture - that's pretty much it), and supposedly, that is all cats need. They certainly don't need grain.

I brought the samples home and read the book in one afternoon. The kittens LOVE the new food. They even chewed a hole in one of the sample bags to get at more of the food.

I went back to the store and bought a big bag of "Into the Wild" catfood - it is grain free and has a high protein content. I also bought cans of 100% meat canned food - quail, chicken, turkey, and beef. They LOVE it!!!!

And the litterbox problems have greatly improved. Could be because I got them neutered but I'll keep buying them the new food. If nothing else, I like supporting a locally owned store.

No comments: