Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Little Pink Packets

On my way to Jury Duty on Monday, I gave myself enough time to stop at McDonald's for breakfast. When I got to Jonesborough, I remembered that parking is terrible at the courthouse so I skipped McDonald's thinking I'd be out of the jury orientation in a couple of hours.

However, I ended up volunteering to serve on the Grand Jury so I had to stay all day hearing cases - over 20, maybe 30. (We ate lunch at 1:00.)

Since I was hungry, I was happy to see that they had coffee in the Grand Jury room. After I had already poured a cup, I realized that there was plenty of creamer (a necessity for me), but there was no sugar (another necessity). There were only pink packets. Bleck! I'm pretty strict when it comes to artificial sweeteners. But I was desperate, desperate I tell you! So I put two pink packets in my cup.

The aroma was nice and the temperature was perfect for sipping.
First sip.......yeleck! [Grimace]
Second sip....[grimace] {sigh} bleck!
Surely, by the third sip I'll be used to the nasty taste, right? And the cup is so nice and warm in my hands.....I really want to drink it and like it..............................
Third sip.... [friggin pink packets ruining my coffee!!!] Yuck-O!

Until lunch time, I could taste that rancid fake sugar (poison?) taste. It coated my tongue. Every time I breathed in and out, I could feel the weird, fake, poisonous taste. I really could feel it, I promise.

I mean no ill will to those who love the pink packets. But I really think people shouldn't ingest fake sugar. I think it's bad for you. But that's just my opinion.

I used to work with someone who only drank a specific diet drink. She drank them all day long at work and at home. When we travelled on business trips together, she brought a cooler loaded with the diet drink. Her breath always had a peculiar odor. After 3 sips of the tainted coffee, it reminded me of that smell that always wafted from my coworker.

There are plenty of studies about artificial sweeteners - they're bad, I tell ya!

Today, while shopping at Kroger, I bought a cylinder of sugar to take to the courthouse and donate to the Grand Jury room.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

LOL at you donating sugar to the Grand Jury!! I don't like the fake stuff either. I can't stand any of the diet drinks or anything. I bought some of the Crystal Light pour-in things for my water bottles about a year ago and found after about a week that I was getting headaches when I used them. NOT good for you is right!