Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Our Days Are Booked

Poor Abbie! Her life is so regimented. I can't remember if my life was like this at her age or not. Some nights, I lie in bed wondering if this is how it's supposed to be.
On Mondays, she has ballet. After school, we go directly to ballet, but we have an hour to kill before the class starts so she starts her homework - on Mondays, she always has to write her spelling words 3 times each. After ballet, we get home around 5:30 pm. I start dinner while she finishes homework while Paul supervises. After he checks her homework, I double check him - spelling is not his strong suit. I don't remember anyone EVER helping me with my homework, much less checking it.
After dinner, she is supposed to spend 10 minutes working on multiplication memorization. Plus she has to read for at least 15 minutes every day. She might help Paul load the dishwasher, and she has a little time to watch TV or do some other leisure activity. Suddenly, it's time to start the bedtime routine.
Ideally, I'd like her to pack her own lunch (at least some of it) and straighten her room (not perfect, just get her dirty clothes out of the floor and put her shoes away). But this stuff never happens because I don't want to be on her case like a drill sergeant all day. She'd have no free time!
Tuesday through Friday is a little better because we don't get home as late. But still, after dinner, it seems that there is not enough time for family time and chores and homework and relaxation. We tend to skip the chore part. I think maybe I need to create a schedule to follow, but that seems a little too strict? anal? militant? But maybe it's the answer....
Hmmmm..... If I get it figured out, I'll let you know.

No comments: