Sunday, November 9, 2008

It's Not Too Early for Pumpkin Pie

Today, I had to make dessert for a church related event (I'll describe it in a minute). I decided to make pumpkin pies, and I made two. The problem is that I wasn't going to be able to eat any of it. They smelled so good, and I really wanted just one little sliver!
Three or four times a year, our church supports another local church host IHN families. IHN stands for Interfaith Hospitality Network. Any church (hence "interfaith") can get involved. IHN takes in homeless families (mom/dad & children or single parents with children) and helps them until they can get on their feet. It is an interesting set up (and I don't know all the details).
The families move to a different church each week - they sleep there and eat breakfast and dinner there. Each morning, after breakfast, they are transported back to the IHN day center (and to work and school depending on the situation). At the IHN day center, they get help finding a job, get job training, and help finding a place to live. IHN also helps them furnish their new home and get settled.
Moving from church to church each week helps keep the churches from being overburdened and keeps the families from getting too comfortable in the program - the point is that they get on their feet; not stay dependent on the agency for a long time.
Our church isn't big enough (and doesn't have the facilities for showers) to house the families so we help the other church by making dinner and providing overnight hosts and helping set up beds and driving families to and from the day center.
Our church is involved in a lot of local mission work - this is just one of many things they sponsor or support. Maybe, I'll list it all someday. For such a small, aging congregation, I'm pretty proud of their involvement.
This is why I was making desserts today for someone else to enjoy. Abbie kept thinking she was going to get to eat some, and I explained that the pies were made for homeless families, and she was cool with that. We also sent some whipped cream to go with the pies.
*Breaking news* Someone just called to say that there was pie leftover! I hope I can remember to pick it up tomorrow.

1 comment:

Annie said...

Wow Lorrie, that was so nice of you. It sounds like a really great program. Your church sounds awesome! I don't think I could have not had a slice, I would have had to make one for us too. You have some pretty great self control.