Saturday, November 1, 2008

Sharing the Wealth (as in Candy)

Paul is really great at Halloween. He usually chooses to stay home and give out candy while Abbie and I go around the block.
I try not to wait until the last minute to buy candy so I usually stock our candy bowl about a week ahead of time. After Paul eats most of it and starts feeling guilty....well, guilty isn't the right word. He starts realizing that there isn't enough candy for the trick-or-treaters so he goes out and buys more.
The conundrum is: if I buy just any old candy, he'll make fun of it and tell me I should have bought some that kids would like (meaning him), but if I buy the candy that I know that he will approve of (meaning his favorites), he will eat it before Halloween. So I do buy his favorites and let him make the second trip to the store to buy more.
When Abbie and I return from our trip around the block, she enjoys giving out candy with Paul. Even though he's pretty shy, he warmly greets the trick-or-treaters, comments on their costumes, and gives them fistfuls of candy. If I give out the candy, he supervises and tells me how to do it. He wants to make sure that each child leaves with lots of loot! Right before 9 pm, we start giving out double handfuls so we can get rid of it. Abbie also likes to exchange candy she doesn't particularly like with the good stuff in our bowl. Then we redistribute that. It's voluntary.
Last night, he came up with an interesting idea for an invention for giving out Halloween candy. And he put spider rings on all his fingers and made it look like spiders were crawling through his hair. And he put skull rings on his fingertips to make it look like he had skull shaped fingernails. Then he left the room for a few minutes and came back with plastic vampire teeth in his mouth along with an orange glow necklace. He came back through the house turning off the lights so we could enjoy the full effect. It was pretty spooky.
Not related to Halloween, a few weeks ago, I asked Paul how old he felt - emotionally and physically - in relation to his actual age. Surprisingly (or not surprisingly) he said he felt about 12 years old on the inside. And that is why he enjoys Halloween so much!

No comments: